background

Friday, October 11, 2013

Stand For The Right

In class this week, we had a discussion on whether differences in cultures are good or bad, right or wrong. Are all cultures equally valid? At first I thought that this was an easy answer.  Of course the differences in cultures don't make one right or wrong. As I sat in class and listened to my classmates, my thoughts began to change.  I realized that there is a difference between having tolerance and respect towards others and tolerating the wrong behavior.  This made me think of a couple of examples.  The first thing I thought about was about a time that I was talking to my younger(but much more brilliant) brother, about the issues of gay marriage.  It seems to be a heated topic in our country lately.  I had told my brother that I was so frustrated with all the debates.  I thought, why not just let anyone and everyone get married?  Shouldn't everyone have a choice? Why not just let them have the freedom to do what ever it is they want? (Now take note that in saying this, I was not agreeing with the behavior, but just thought we should all stop fighting and let it be)  My brother then said something that will stick with me forever. He said, my dear sister(okay, maybe not completely like that...but it sure sounds better, right? :) ), if we don't stand up for marriage, who will?  When we have been told that the constitution(in the last days) will be hanging by a thread, who do you think that thread is?  We must hold on to the Lord's values, our values.  We need to fight and stand for what is right, even if we are the only ones standing.  How true this message is.  I thought of the Primary song, "Stand for the Right".  The words are simple, but ring out loud and strong:

Our prophet has some words for you, 
And these are the words:
"Be true, be true."
At work or at play,In darkness or light,
Be true, be true, And stand for the right.

"We MUST stand as a witness to God at all times, and in all things and in all places..."(Mosiah 18:9)  We can not forget this.  "Be true, be true."

Another thought that I had during this time was that we should look to Christ as our example.  Treat others as he did.  Don't judge.  Be full of Charity.  In doing this, remember to be an example of His gospel.  Never compromise your values.  This is a great way to be a missionary. 
In this blog, I would like to include a message that was given by Elder Dallin H. Oaks on this very matter.  His message is clear.  May we heed his words and always, Stand for the Right.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/-truth-and-tolerance-elder-dallin-h-oaks  

No comments:

Post a Comment