background

Friday, November 29, 2013

An Educated Mother

 "Give me an educated mother, I shall promise you the birth of a civilized, educated nation" ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
  For class this week we read an article called, Does a Full-time Homemaker Swap Her Mind for a Mop?
Years ago, I thought that a career was more important than becoming a mother.  I was dedicated to receiving my education to pursue a career.  As I type this, I now know that my thinking was in error.  Being a mother is the most important job.  No career can give one the knowledge and experiences like being a mother.  I have learned management skills, how to work for 24 hours on little sleep, and how to teach others a multiple array of subjects.  Education can do nothing but help in this process of raising the next generation.  My formal education was put on hold as I have raised my three children, but I have constantly continued to read, learn new talents, and educate myself in many ways.  I am currently back in school, now that my youngest is in school full time, and plan on continuing until I receive my masters degree.  I also know that my education will not stop there.  I hope that I may always have a love for learning and constantly continue to learn even when I am eighty years old!
   To all mothers, your education is NOT wasted!  You are doing the greatest most rewarding job.  The Lord is proud you for your willingness to be a mother.  Satan is trying to attack motherhood.  He wants us to think of our roles as less than they really are.  He wants us to think we are waisting our minds for a mop.  He wants our world to forget about being mothers altogether.  I wanted to share a video, it is not dealing with education and mothers, but it is a very powerful message for all mothers.

Motherhood: An eternal partnership with God

  I agree with Preger in his article that women are not swapping their minds for a mop. I loved that his wife continued to find ways to be educated from inside the home. We live in a day and age where technology can bring us great tools for learning. We should always do all we can, male and female, to continually expand our minds. I truly believe that our intelligence is one of the things we will keep with us in the next life.
Education has always been a high priority for me as a woman. My grandfather had two children, both girls (my mother and my aunt), and knew that he should stress to them that they receive their education. His father, my great-grandfather, often would tell his son how foolish it was to encourage women to achieve an education. Fortunately, my grandfather ignored this counsel, and my mother not only received a college degree (after having children), but was able to instill the value of education to her children. I truly believe that an education is extremely valuable to mothers. Like Erickson said in her article, "But the education of mothers—those who inculcate values and practices into the hearts and minds of the next generation—is vital." Also consider Elder Oaks words to women regarding education: “There are other reasons why it is important for our young women to receive a proper education. Education is more than vocational. Education should improve our minds, strengthen our bodies, heighten our cultural awareness and increase our spirituality. It should prepare us for greater service to the human family. Such an education will improve a woman’s ability to function as an informed and effective teacher of her sons and daughters, and as a worthy and wise counselor and companion to her husband. Some have observed that the mother’s vital teaching responsibility makes it even more important to have educated mothers than to have educated fathers” (BYU President’s Assembly, 9 Sept. 1975). What a powerful statement!
There some other reasons for a mother to receive her education. For example, it is important to prepare ourselves (as mothers), for any situation that could arise in this earthly state. Dallin H. Oaks mentioned once regarding his mother, "My mother had a college education when she married my father. When she was about 30, she had three children, and he passed away from cancer. Her college education made our home more stable, and our lives much easier. I think that if you can put in a little time to finish off a degree, a general studies one possibly, would be an investment into your and their future."
As a mother, I truly feel like the education I have received, and continue to receive, is a benefit to my family. I liked a quote I found by Dr. Charles D. McIver, in addressing the students at North Carolina College for Women said, “When you educate a man you educate an individual; when you educate a woman you educate a whole family” (in The Home Book of Quotations, 8th ed., comp. Burton Stevenson, New York: Dodd, Mead and Co., 1956, p. 2193).



No comments:

Post a Comment